Are you a traitor or a Patriot?
Being a Federal Officer in the ACWGC is often seen as the easier of the two sides - this is very arguable. While we do usually outnumber our misguided neighbors to the South we all know that might doesn't always win in the end.
1. Federal infantry units are almost always inferior in quality to the Confederate infantry units, though our weaponry and ammunition supply is markedly better.
2. Confederate cavalry, especially early in the war, owns the battlefield in many scenarios. As the war progresses and Union cavalry, and our weaponry, improve, the balance swings in our favor.
3. Our Artillery is dominant from 1861 thru 1865. Confederate artillery is laughable by comparison. Our readily available supplies and larger ammunition chests make this our greatest advantage.
4. Union regiments are generally larger than Confederate regiments on the battlefield but more prone to routing and disruption.
5. Command and Leadership deficiencies in some scenarios make battlefield control of your units more difficult and challenging than it is for the Confederate side.
The Union side of the Club is geared more towards players that enjoy a more steady and methodical approach to combat and war as our biggest asset is also our slowest - the artillery. Our officers need to have a good plan in place and then use our greater strength to carry it out to fruition despite any setbacks. Ulysses S. Grant knew this only too well:
"Oh, I am heartily tired of hearing about what Lee is going to do. Some of you always seem to think he is suddenly going to turn a double somersault, and land in our rear and on both of our flanks at the same time. Go back to your command, and try to think what are we going to do ourselves, instead of what Lee is going to do."
New recruits are sent directly to the Union Military Academy (U.M.A.) where they are educated in the more advanced forms of military strategy and logistics. After a round of training, and advanced training upon request, they will be appointed to one of our four glorious armies in the field. Advancement within the Union ranks is attainable through a combination of gaming and a spirit of volunteerism to help lead from the front and hold posts within the Union Army organization.
While the Rebs may think themselves more stylish and dashing, in a pirate sort of way, we Union men are the rocks of civilization and the cornerstone that our nation's future rests upon. We must win this war!
Feel free to tour our different armies and our headquarters at your leisure.